Can iSpy take advantage of edge storage on IP camera?

josephvm

Can iSpy take advantage of edge storage on IP camera?

Postby josephvm » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:01 am

I'd like to know if iSpy can start recordings that are saved directly to an IP camera's edge storage (most of the time it's an SD or a MicroSD card). This might be the workflow:

* I click the "Record now" button in iSpy.
* iSpy tells the camera to start a recording and to record it directly to the internal SD card.
* The camera begins saving the current footage to a new recording on the SD card.
* I click the "Stop recording" button in iSpy.
* iSpy tells the camera to stop the current recording
* I remove the SD card from my camera and insert it into my computer. I can then transfer the recorded video directly to my hard drive.

Is this kind of thing possible with iSpy?

Thanks a ton in advance!

medistat

Re: Can iSpy take advantage of edge storage on IP camera?

Postby medistat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:25 am

Don't think so but if your camera has an SD slot then it will also have the ability to record straight to SD card. Why complicate the issue?

Out of interest, what's the camera?

josephvm

Re: Can iSpy take advantage of edge storage on IP camera?

Postby josephvm » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:11 pm

It's an Axis P5534 camera.

Let me explain this a little more clearly: "edge storage" is a fanciful and rather misleading term for storing video footage on the SD card, instead of storing it on a central server.

What I'm wondering is if iSpy can instruct the camera to record straight to it's internal SD card whenever the "Record now" button is pressed. Similarly, I'm wondering if iSpy can instruct the camera to stop the current recording whenever the "Stop recording" button is pressed.

I want to record to the SD card bc it takes a significant load off of the network and the video is much better quality. Like I said, I have the ability to access the card directly later, so I can copy the video straight to my computer. No hassle there. The problem is getting the camera to start when I push "Record now" in iSpy and stop when I push "Stop recording" in iSpy.

Return to “System Setups”