Changed Windows TEMP/TMP and Lost Config

level6

Changed Windows TEMP/TMP and Lost Config

Postby level6 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:05 am

I changed my Windows (7 Pro 64-bit) TEMP and TMP environment variables to move all of that stuff out of AppData and onto an SSD drive. I rebooted and now iSpy (64-bit, was 6.3.0.0, but just updated to 6.8.2.0) acts like a new install, giving me that initial "tips" screen, and everything. (It did that before I updated to 6.8.2.0, also.)

I did not delete anything from the old AppData\* structure. Does my old configuration still exist, somewhere? I am afraid to make any more changes until I know. I have 9 IP cams, 2 different types, and they were really a chore to configure, before (year or two ago, now?)

I am poking around in my registry while I wait on some wisdom.

Thanks!

Raymond.
2 x iSpy Win7Pro64 (1.hi-res stills, 2.rec'ing to SSD)
11 x 720p PoE IP cams
2 x Cisco Catalyst WS-C3750-24Ps, trunked
1 x ESXi 5.5 Server w VMs on VLAN doing other things with the cams
Dedicated VLAN has avg util of 100bT of 20%, 40% with many recs.

level6

Re: Changed Windows TEMP/TMP and Lost Config

Postby level6 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:11 pm

I was able to find an old exported object list and import the cameras and rebuild, from there.

I must say that 6.8.2.0 seems much too resource-intensive, compared to 6.3.0.0, for some reason. I have re-tuned the performance way, way down, too. If I go any lower on resolution, there is too much dithering to make out words or faces. All recording, motion detection, and alerting has been disabled, as well as any values for those (buffering, etc) knocked to 0, just-in-case. Still, all CPUs remain pegged around 90% and, though I was able to slow the page fault rate down a bit, still get a steady stream of page faults. I only have 7 of my cams running, too.

It has actually gotten so bad that I have to kill iSpy to do much of anything else, including just simple browsing.

But, that's not what this thread was about,... unless there is some tuning I had in the old instance that I've forgotten about and could not get back due to having no answer to the original question. :)
11 x 720p PoE IP cams

userid1

Postby userid1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Is it possible the high CPU is due to antivirus? Try removing the iSpy save to directory from the antivirus scan list.

level6

Postby level6 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:03 am

Excellent idea, since paths to things did change. Thank you!

I doubt it, though, since all disk activity should be configured as being off. No saving is occurring. I disabled saving a year or so ago, since that requires much too much more CPU and memory. I had already disabled the save directories in AV. I have turned all AV off and see no difference in any performance, now. Frankly, I am sort of glad for that. I would hate to disable AV permanently for anywhere in a temporary directory structure.

But, it was definitely worth thinking about and trying. Thanks, again.
11 x 720p PoE IP cams

level6

Postby level6 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:08 am

I am beginning to suspect that I have lost the art of tuning the resolution on these things. Every time I restart, they all seem to go back to their higher resolutions. I am basing that solely on the overlaid text font size, since the "Get Stream Size" button doesn't seem to do anything for me.

I really wish there had been a way to retrieve my old configuration.

I will play around with these VLC rtsp URLs a bit more.
11 x 720p PoE IP cams

jlchaves

Postby jlchaves » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Regarding resource (especially CPU) utilisation - I have not been able to get v6.8.2.0 to place nice with my older hardware. My machines usually just lock up or stutter at the very least. I still consider v6.5.6.0 to be my "production" release.

I might give v6.7.6.0 a try - this is the version when they introduced the AVI fix.

level6

Postby level6 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:41 am

Interesting. Have you had any problem with downgrading? Is it basically:

1) Save/export all old config
2) Uninstall newer version
3) Install older version
4) Import old config

Or, are there some reboots sprinkled in there, or something else for someone to watch out for?

Are the older versions downloadable from their site? I still have my 6.3.0.0 setup file, but I would like to try 6.5.6.0 if you have had good luck with it, and this process isn't too painful to go through. There was really absolutely nothing wrong with my 6.3.0.0 . I just experienced a great improvement in it over the last one I had installed, about a year or so earlier than 6.3.0.0 , so I figured these DEVs know their stuff and went for it.
11 x 720p PoE IP cams

Return to “System Setups”