iSpy can't see my NAS (Windows can)

medistat

iSpy can't see my NAS (Windows can)

Postby medistat » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:53 pm

Running iSpy64 v6.8.2.0

Previously had a Synology DS411j on my network that was visible to both Windows10 and iSpy - set up as a JOBD and seen as K:\. All worked fine for many years.

Now, have replaced that box with a Synology DS1817+ 8-bay setup as a JOBD, again seen by Windows10 as K:\. Windows is able to RW etc no issues. However, iSpy can not now see this new drive on the same PC that CAN see it thru Windows10. Nothing in the iSpy setup has been changed..... have even reloaded an object list that did work fine and it also can't see the new network drive. Local drives C: and D: (DVR) are visible.

Help.... why can't iSpy see my network drive?

userid1

Re: iSpy can't see my NAS (Windows can)

Postby userid1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:56 am

Check "Windows Firewall, allow apps feature" settings. iSpy should be in the allowed apps list.

medistat

Postby medistat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:15 pm

Everything in Defender (the default installed with W10) is turned off. Still can't see the NAS with iSpy.

I did read on another blog that Synology firmware has blocked iSpy and invites users to buy their licenses for their security system. They can get stuffed as I have used iSpy for many years with success and have no plans to change.

userid1

Postby userid1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:54 am

I was referring to "Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall\Allowed apps" not defender settings, unless they are one and the same in Windows 10.

medistat

Postby medistat » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:47 am

Actually, have just looked at that again and there are 6 entries for iSpy. are allowed except one. Of those 5 allowed, 2 are public and 3 are private but am unable to make any changes to those settings (yes I am logged on as Administrator).

There is one that is not ticked as allowed (the left-most box) which I also can't edit.

Why are there 6 entries for iSpy and why can't I edit them? Sorry to seem to stupid but this is taxing me to the limit.

medistat

Postby medistat » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:21 pm

Addendum for the record, problem fixed by doing this:

1. Saved the config (object list) then shut iSpy down.
2. Removed all trace of iSpy from PC.
3. Removed all mention of iSpy from the 'Allow thru firewall' setup.
4. Ran System Mechanic and cleaned up registry - it found numerous old versions still lurking around.
5. Emptied recycle bin.
6. Defragmented the drive.
7. Ran System Mechanic again and found another pile of registry entries relating to iSpy and iSpy viewer.
8. Went back to 3 until no more entries found.
9. Rebooted PC.
9. Freshly installed iSpy v6.8.2.0.
10. Loaded the saved object list.

iSpy can now see the 'missing' drive. So it seems that the issue was having multiple upgraded versions on the PC. I do wonder if the upgrade process is as clean as it should be and in future will totally nuke the old version before installing a newer one. But as I've had bad experiences with versions newer than 6.8.2.0, there seems little point fixing what ain't busted.

medistat

Postby medistat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:06 am

Has reverted back to the same issue as before, ie iSpy unable to see network drives that are otherwise visible to W10.

In my view, iSpy has a fundamental flaw that will need to be adressed. In it's current state, it's so variable as to be unuseable and if I were to release such flakey software, I'd have gone to the wall years ago.

Need to look for an alternative asap.

medistat

Postby medistat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:49 pm

Has anyone else experienced this issue - Explorer can see server drive and has full RW permissions.

But iSpy can only see the local drive.

This is bloody hopeless in a package that is otherwise excellent in so many ways. It's a fundamental problem that really has gone on for too long and needs fixed. I won't be installing any more subscriber versionso of this on clients systems until this gets fixed.

Return to “System Setups”