Reduce CPU utilization during recording

Got any feature requests or suggestions?
leszekm1

Reduce CPU utilization during recording

Postby leszekm1 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:45 pm

Right now for every frame that is written on the recording thread 9% of the CPU time is being used by the ManualResetEvent on line 3175 of CameraWindow.cs (this is not even counting the 5ms of wait time):
while (!_stopWrite.WaitOne(5))
Please change it to a simple bool like you use when reading frames (in MediaStream.cs). You don't need to use a system wide event (with all its system-wide inter-process overhead) there just like you don't need it in the reading frames loop.

zxcslo

Re: Reduce CPU utilization during recording

Postby zxcslo » Sun May 07, 2017 3:01 pm

From your posts I'm assuming that you know a thing or two about programming... :twisted:

Have you thought about contacting the iSpy author(s) directly?
It looks like his/their presence here is not... often... judging from responses to your posts...

If you two joined forces, I think we can get very good app even better.

leszekm1

Postby leszekm1 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:09 am

All my suggestions have been incorporated into version 6.7.5.0 available for download on 5/11/2017

zxcslo

Postby zxcslo » Fri May 12, 2017 4:21 am

leszekm1 wrote:All my suggestions have been incorporated into version 6.7.5.0 available for download on 5/11/2017

Superb! :D :D :D

kadamik

Postby kadamik » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:36 am

Leszekm1 or anyone else that wants to improve cpu. Do you know if there is anyway to re-code the ffmpeg encoding to include the -threads 1 augment. sure it takes longer to complete the conversion but on my test run it only used 5 percent of the cpu. if you want it faster then use more threads. I tried to do a work around and have ispy record with full AVI, I then made a script that would encode it using ffmpeg with the -threads switch. it would fire off the script 2 minutes after the alert was done. The problem on my work around is the XML file. I don't know how to force it to rebuild. the only way I know how is to delete and restart I spy.

if we could ad the -threads 1 switch to the base code I would not have to do my work around. Do you think that can happen? if not do you have any ideas for the XML problem I have?

thanks
Keith

Return to “Suggestions”